1. Review General Rules.
Note: Matte board dimensions and mounting locations. To protect exhibits from dust &
moisture, purchase a clear bag at the extension office.
2. Black & white and color photographic prints and videos may be exhibited. Exhibitors may
enter up to six items in this division, but only two entries per class.
3. All entries must be the result of the current year's 4-H work and by the 4-H member.
4. All exhibitors must enter appropriate classes for the project they are enrolled in.
5. Photos are to be mounted across the narrow (11") dimension of an 11 x 12.5" sheet of white
studio matte board. Mount board may be purchased through the County Extension Office. Do not
use foam core board. Photos mounted on poster board will not be displayed.
6. Remove white border from the enlargement before mounting. All photos must be no larger
than 8” x 10” and not smaller than 7” x 9” after trimming. Exceptions are untouched photo and
classes with 3 photos – these are to be 4x6” photos.
7. Photos must be mounted with the top edge of the print 1" below the top of the mount. The
sides of the print must be equal distance from the two sides of the mount.
8. Photo story and three pictures on one subject, 4x6” prints, are not eligible for the state fair and
maybe mounted in any way the pictures will fit on the narrow dimension of the matte board.
8. A permanent mount must be made using photographic adhesive. Rubber cement is not to be
used as it makes the photos curl.
9. No lettering is permitted on the front of the mount or on the photo. No under lays or borders
are to be used. No contact prints on front of mount.
10. Improperly mounted photos (including prints with the white borders) will be awarded a
ribbon one placing lower than the placing determined by the official judge.
11. The exhibitor's name and address, and location where the picture was taken should be written
on the back of the mount.
12. Photographs taken with a digital camera and having no more adjustments than exposure,
color intensity or correction, red eye removal, cropping, dodging and burning should be entered
in the standard color or black and white classes.
13. Digital images that have had objects added or removed, filter effects applied or black &
white and color combined must be entered in the class for Computer Manipulated Photos. Photo
must be from an original taken by the exhibitor. Exhibitor must include a second 11 x 12-1/2
matte board mounted with standard size print or prints (if more than one photo was used) of the
original photo(s) and 3 x 5 card explaining what manipulation was done. May include additional
photos (standard size and may be layered) showing editing steps. Place both matte boards in the
same plastic bag.
14. The black and white class is for black and white prints only. Monochromatic prints, including
sepia prints are considered color photos and must be entered in the appropriate color class.
15. All videos are to be original and result of the member’s current year’s work. Criteria for
judging shall include:
A) Evidence of story line.
B) Use of camera angles.
C) Use of zooming techniques
D) Smoothness of scene changes
E) Story telling.
No time or date should be imprinted on the tape or disk. In addition, all of the rules of
photographic techniques, such as the rule of thirds, composition, framing, etc., will be applied.
Video should be no longer than five (5) minutes in length. Videos should comply with copyright
regulations. Sound should follow the story line and should be more than dialog, but sound is not
a required feature. Titles may be used but are not required. Video must be in the DVD format
and enclosed in a zip-lock plastic bag.
Junior Division – Age 7-9
5400 - Untouched photo – 4x6 photo
5401 - Three pictures on same subject – 4x6 photos
5402 - Three picture photo story – 4x6 photos
5403 - Color Enlargement
5404 - Black and White Enlargement
Intermediate Division – Age 10-13
5405 - Untouched photo – 4x6 photo
5406 - Three pictures on same subject – 4x6 photos
5407 - Three picture photo story – 4x6 photos
5408 - Color Enlargement
5409 - Black and White Enlargement
5410 - Computer manipulated photo – see rule 13
Senior Division – age 14 and older
5411 - Color Enlargement
5412 - Black and White Enlargement
5413 - Computer manipulated photo – see rule 13
5414 - Special Effects Enlargement – photo developed from film only with darkroom
manipulation of print and/or in camera manipulation of the negative.
5415 - Video on DVD
Champion and reserve champion will be chosen for each class from all purple ribbons
Grand Champion and Reserve Grand Champion Photography